Towards the sky
Many people think that parachuting is a purely male occupation. Men, by definition, are physically stronger and stronger than girls. But there are exceptions to generally accepted rules, and there are many proofs of this. Behind one of them is the heroine of our article, Inna Palshina. A fragile and petite girl more than three years ago conquered the sky with a parachute behind her shoulders. Since then, this sport has become a favorite thing for her.
The preparation for the first jump, the first exercises and the training landings in the classroom Inna recalls with a smile. The desire to jump with a parachute came spontaneously, even as a student.
– I remember that very day. Just ended the summer session. The girls and I were in one of the university buildings. We saw an ad in which DOSAAF invites to parachute jumps, ”recalls Inna. – I without thinking twice called the number and I signed up for the next week already.
Instruction consists of theoretical and practical parts. On the theory, the instructor tells how to land, in which position the arms and legs should be at this moment, how to hold the lines and much more. The practical part is the rehearsal of the theory.
– All newcomers are led to a large hall. And each in turn begins to work out the technique of separation from the aircraft. You just jump a step away from the wall, imagining that you are going out into the “open sky”. After that, anyone could hang in the harness from a parachute, which is attached to the ceiling. This simulates the sensations that you later experience going down under the dome.
For a person who is going to jump for the first time, such exercises usually take place once and last for 1.5-2 hours. Then the day of the jump is appointed. An additional part of the training takes place at the airport. For example, you need to jump from the “bedside”. This design consists of several steps: the top one is at a height of 2 meters, the bottom one is 0.5 meters. On the contrary – the ground where the sand is dug up.
All people in turn must jump from all the steps: first face, then sideways, then with a roll. On such an exercise, various options for meeting with the earth are practiced.
– Sometimes there were unpleasant incidents. You can jump and tuck foot. No one is immune from this. For example, one girl was presented with a certificate, and she was injured in training and could not jump, ”says Inna.
After these tests, the most exciting moments come – boarding the plane and the jump itself. A person in these very moments experiences unique sensations.
At will it is possible to choose: either to make a jump with an instructor, or without him. Inna chose the second. The first minutes after the instruction, the beginning parachutist was seized with fear. He passed after a parachute appeared on his shoulders. Then everything happened like in the movies …
– For a very long time I didn’t even believe in the reality of what was happening: did the childhood dream come true? – Inna shares her impressions. – The plane made several laps over the airfield, gained altitude, and the instructor pointed at me: they say, you are separating the fourth. A few minutes later – a siren, an open door (in the parachute world it is called “edge”) and a step into the unknown. At this moment, an absolutely unusual, intoxicating feeling comes, when absolutely nothing holds you. Imagine: around just a huge thick air.
According to the girl, the first time to jump is not scary. The day before the jump, anxiety appears, then excitement comes to replace him.
– I remember, there was a funny episode when we jumped for the first time. We have a pilot named Anatoly – an inveterate humorist. He cut out funny headlines from newspapers and put them on helmets for paratroopers. We read each other these inscriptions. So, a rather large uncle was sitting in front of me, and on his helmet he had the inscription: “A fragile ballerina”. It was a kind of psychological relief, so as not to be afraid to take a step towards the sky. Later, my good parachute friend taught me to get off the plane with a smile, with pleasure, trying to hold my hands like a hug.
As soon as a person is overboard, 3 seconds of free fall pass, after which the ring is pulled out and the parachute begins to unfold. Inna believes that this is no less amazing feelings. The height at which the jump is made depends on the skill level of the athlete. Usually they start from 900 meters. To experience other sensations, you need to go higher.
– Nowhere in real life can not imitate this state. Like you dive into the ocean. – Even the water resists, and the air does not hold at all, – says the parachutist with excitement. – I like to feel the parachute slowly begin to open. If you wish, you can raise your head and watch him. But even without looking, you feel how the dome suddenly finds life and makes its first noisy breath. And then comes the utter, unearthly silence, as if all sounds were eaten. Before that there was a crash of the plane, then a whistle in the ears. Then you pull the ring – and everything seems to freeze.
Where the parachutist lands will largely depend on the saws…